sisters-4-sisters (Islam in Ireland)
Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections

Getting ready for Ramadan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting ready for Ramadan

Post by Clare on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:14 am

Today is 4th Shaban 1431

The moon is waxing, at 28% of full, at 10.05 today.
Clare
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 625
Comments : CLEANING + TIDYING = HAPPY HUSBAND
=>
HUGS + ATTENTION = HAPPY WIFE
Job/hobbies : Arts and crafts
Hajj : Did it when I was about 5 years muslim. I found the constant moving around form one place to another to be very unsettling. But alhamdililah I got to touch the Qaba. Medina was wonderful. The trips between Safa and Marwa most enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting ready for Ramadan

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:29 pm

As-salaamu aleikum Dear Sisters,

Well, we're getting closer and closer to Ramadan. It's now just a little more than a week away. What are you doing to get ready?

I know I've got a few things to do now so that when Ramadan starts I can focus more on worship. This week I want to do some house-cleaning and house-organizing and garden work. I want to do some sewing and mending to get caught up on that and fix/alter a dress for the Eid.

I also want to make a plan for Ramadan that includes extra prayer, reading Quran in Arabic and the English translation, and some charity. Insha Allah, I will make up and print out a one-page chart where I can check off my goals as I finish them each day. I've done that for the past couple of years in Ramadhan and it has really helped me keep on track. I include the acts of worship I want to do each day as well as other miscellaneous things, like some self-care (ex, moisturizing before I go to bed). With a new baby this year I think it will be more important than ever for me to be organized if I want to get anything done.

So what are you all doing to get ready?

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Female Posts : 229
Job/hobbies : English editing and tutoring, reading, cooking, crafts
Hajj : try to be loving and personable

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Asalam alaikom sisters

23rd Shaban!!! Moon at 42% of full and waning.

Wow MMF! you really have thought this thing through masha Allah! How many years are you muslim now? How long have you been living in an Arabic country? How old is the baby now and how is she doing? Will your 40 days be up by Ramadan?? Time flies!

All I've done is make the intention to fast the month. My husband is diabetic so he won't be able to fast. I rarely can fast the whole month due to my own health problems. Last year I swallowed a five carat amythest by accident - my meds make my mouth really dry so I normally hold a stone in my mouth during Ramadan - this time it will be a bigger one insha Allah. I just realized now - that probably broke my fast on me that day.

I have a lot of sewing and mending to do - most of my clothes are too big for me now alhamdililah. I keep putting it off even though I've got a brand new overlocker which I have never even tried out!

C
Clare
Admin
Admin

=>
Hajj : Did it when I was about 5 years muslim. I found the constant moving around form one place to another to be very unsettling. But alhamdililah I got to touch the Qaba. Medina was wonderful. The trips between Safa and Marwa most enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:29 am

Wa aleikum as-salaam Clare,

Well, I learned that if I didn't make 'plans' for Ramadan, I'd end up finishing the month with lots of regret for what I didn't do. Truth is, I still have some regret at the end of the month anyway, but at least now I know that I did try and I did get many things done (can see it visibly on my daily checklist).

This will be my 20th Ramadan! I embraced Islam back in early 1992, just a week before the start of Ramadan. I've been living in the Arabic Peninsula since August of '93.

My baby was born on July 15th, so it looks like I'll not be able to fast during the first part of Ramadan. My post-partum bleeding usually drags on, with light spotting, for 35-40 days. That means I might miss as much as 13 days, wa Allahu alim. I feel sad about that as I'd much rather fast in Ramadan with everyone else than make it up on my own later, but of course, I just have to accept it as my qadr. In the past, with my other children, one year I missed all 30 days of Ramadan, and another year I missed 15 days.

Still, I know there is wisdom in not fasting right away after the birth of a child. For one thing, it takes time to adjust to the new sleeping schedule with a baby waking on and off throughout the night to feed. Secondly, it gives the mother a longer time to establish breasfeeding before trying to fast.

Because I have the new baby, I know I need to be more organized this Ramadan than ever. You never know when a baby is going to need your attention. So, for example, I know that I will need to start preparing for meals early, just be sure that they are done in time to break the fast or done in time to eat before the adthan for Fajr.

Alhamdulillah, there are some things I can do while I am caring for the baby. I was thinking that I could use the time when I am sitting to breastfeed her for reading the English translation of the Qur'an or for reviewing the Qur'an that I have memorized. (I've put many Surahs on my phone and I can keep that near me to easily listen and review.)

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post by return2islam on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Salam alaykoum,

Inshallah I'm going to be a bit more organised for Ramadan this year. I'm hoping to do a meal plan or at least make a list of all the meals that will be suitable for Iftar so it doesn't get boring. Its just me and my hubby that I have to cook for so I can cook enough for two days, that way I wont have to cook every day or at least reduce the time spent cooking. I'm also planning to make a timetable for each day to try and make sure I read the Quran everyday. I also plan to read the english translation of the Quran in full as I haven't done that yet and to learn the 99 names of Allah.

I've found a website where there are some timetable templates that you can copy and adjust. http://ramadhanplanner.wordpress.com/printable-organizers/

MMF do you miss Ireland?How did you find living in an Arabic country in the beginning?Did you struggle with the language?
return2islam

Female Posts : 70
Comments : La illaha illallah
Job/hobbies : working
Hajj : no

Back to top Go down

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 am

Wa aleikum as-salaam 'return2islam'

Thanks for the link to the Ramadan planner blog. I found some neat and helpful things there. I do some of the things recommended to get ready for Ramadan. I set goals, make a rough outline of a daily schedule, do some menu prep, Eid prep, spring cleaning - and basically I try to buy everything I think I will need for Ramadhan & Eid in advance, if possible, because I hate having to shop during Ramadan. But there were some other new ideas at the blog that I would like incorporate, like the dua list and the list of good deeds. I'll post that whole section of her blog here as some other Sisters might benefit from it too.

I am not from Ireland, though I am from the West. I've been a long-time friend of one of the moderators here and she invited me to join this forum. Yes, I did find it hard to move to an Arabic country, though I was happy to do it to be with my husband (who was under contract and had to return to his country after he completed his studies). At the time I moved, I was still a new Muslim, had been Muslim for about 18 months. I didn't even really know of the concept of hijrah at that time, and I had been living in a place where I found it easy to practice Islam, so I hadn't felt compelled to leave it in order to protect my faith.

One of the hardest parts of moving to the Arab world was the fact that I did not speak any Arabic before I came. The only thing I knew in Arabic was my basic Salah and a few simple Islamic greeting phrases. It wasn't until I was able to speak and understand a bit of Arabic that I was able to make good friends here. When I first came in 1993, we didn't have internet and I lived in a small town with no other native-English speaking Muslimahs. For those who move to the Arab world today, I think it is much easier since via the internet now you can meet other English speakers who are here who understand your needs and concerns and can help you adjust to differences here. Plus, you can keep in contact more easily with family left behind and continue to learn and study and be with other Muslimahs with whom you are able to fluently communicate.

In the beginning, I did miss my home country, but after living among Muslims for a year and a half, I went back to visit my parents. I had grown accustomed to living in a simpler and more conservative society here in Oman and found the trip back a bit shocking. Things hadn't changed there, but I had changed! And I knew from that point that I wanted to return to Oman to live there and raise my children there. Trips to visit my parents are now nice little holidays, but here among Muslims is where I gladly choose to make my home. (No place is perfect, but the pluses far outway the minuses for our family!)

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:19 am

from: http://ramadhanplanner.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/self-assessment-at-the-start-of-ramadhaan/

Self Assessment at the Start of Ramadhaan

Upon greeting the month of Ramadhaan an individual must return to his own self and search it for what it has sent forth concerning abiding by what Allaah has obligated and staying away from the prohibitions.
If his condition was good such that he was abiding by what Allaah ordained and abstaining from what Allaah prohibited, then he praises Allaah and shows gratitude to his Rabb (Lord) for this tawfeeq (granting him this success).
If however, he had some shortcomings (taqseer) such that he left off a waajib (obligation) or did what Allaah prohibited him from, then he must return to Allaah in repentance. He must make tawbah (seek forgiveness from Allaah) for what he did in the past and he must abandon the sin and have firm conviction that he will not return to that sin, and he must regret what he did concerning that sin; this is if the sin was related to the rights of Allaah.
However, if the sins were related to the rights of mankind, then

• If he is able to return the right to its owner he should do so.
  • If he is unable to, then he should seek his companion’s forgiveness so that he forgives him for the sin.
  • If it is with respect to a monetary right and he is unable to return the wealth to its owner, then he should give that wealth in sadaqah with the intention that he is doing this using the wealth of the owner (i.e. he gives sadaqah on the owner’s behalf).
  • If he had spoken about the reputation of someone by criticizing him, then he should also give in sadaqah on his behalf and supplicate for him.
Ramadhaan Q&A Session by Shaykh Abdullaah Al-Ghudyaan 30th August, 2008

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:22 am

from: http://ummihomeschoolsme.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/my-ramadan-preparation/

My Ramadan Preparation

With Ramadan less than two weeks away, the last few days I have spent preparing for Ramadan. Not for the kids, but for myself. With anything in life, if you want to succeed at something or set yourself a goal, you really have to be organised and determined to achieve it. Many sisters ask me how I manage everything: home ed, studying for my degree, dawah, running a home. Wallahi, I struggle like anyone else and I am no superwoman (trust me lol!) but I feel what helps me is being organised! All of us have goals in Ramadan but how many of us achieve them. I can tell you that I have had so many Ramadans where I wanted to read this much, memorise this much, do this much and it didn’t happen and why?? Because of poor planning. But the Ramadans where I feel (inshaAllah) were productive were because of the tawfeeq of Allah but also because I planned and organised myself.

So, here are some things that I do to prepare for Ramadan. If you find them useful and beneficial, get some reward and pass on this post. Plus I want the reward too inshaAllah! lol

1. GOALS
What are your goals for Ramadan this year? How much Quran do you want to read? What do you want to memorise? How do you want to change spiritually and physically after Ramadan ends? What life changes do you want to make? I would recommend reading this excellent book on goal setting for Ramadan: www.outstandingramadan.com Make a list of your goals and then refine them with how much of each thing you want to do and how you will achieve your goals.

2. ROUGH OUTLINE OF YOUR DAY
Ramadan as a single woman was easy in that I had all the time in the world to do whatever ibadah I wanted to do. But did I do half of those things! No! Now as a busy mother of 3, I don’t have as much time at all! So for me Ramadan really is about planning when I can do the ibadah that I want to do which has to be planned around my 3 busy young children. So, with your goals already outlined and what you would like to do, and how much of it (always be realistic) make a rough outline of your day. When will you read your Quran? When is the best time to pray? Can you do both taraweeh and qiyam? Or just one? Naturally, things might occur which will throw your outline of your day out of the window but at least have a rough one that you can try and stick to. As mothers, we need to choose times to do ibaadah when our kids are occupied/sleeping. So, you take out a pen and paper and figure out what your days will be like in Ramadan. It is always a shame to think that we have all these goals and then we just let our days waste away.

3. WEEKLY MENU AND SHOPPING LIST
Ramadan is in no way just about food. And in order to have more time for the important things, I have made my weekly menu in advance for the entire month. Alhamdulillah, my husband is quite easy in that he always wants chourba every day for Ramadan with some borek and salad. So, I’ll just make an additional dish for me and kids, and any guests we may have. This year, I made my weekly menu which includes suhr for hubby and me, breakfast for the kids, lunch for the kids and iftar. After I made the menu, I then made my shopping list. Supermarkets tend to be so busy in Ramadan especially the halal meat shops. I don’t want to waste my time thinking about what I want to buy. Also, it is a huge danger going shopping whilst fasting because you fancy EVERYTHING. This way, I know what I need, go put it in my trolley and then OUT again. Previously I have also chopped quantities of veg that I tend to use every day in advance and then stored it away in the freezer. Sorry to repeat myself, but it is all about saving as much time as you can for the important things during this blessed month.

4. DUA LIST
SubhanAllah, I can tell you from my own experience that last year so many of my duas were answered. Alhamdulillah. Allah was truly merciful to me and my family. Had I not made my dua list, I think I would have regretted not using this special month to make dua for this and for that. What do you want in this life and the next? Maybe separate your dua list into some categories: dunya, akhirah, ibadah, the ummah, relationships etc. Go mad with your list. Remember you are going to be making dua to the Al Mujeeb – the One who responds. So, go crazy with your list. Then make dua at times where your duas are most likely to be answered – before breaking the fast, during your salah, Qiyam ul layl, the last 10 nights etc. May Allah answer and grant all of your duas. Please make dua for me too!

5. GOOD DEEDS LIST
Again, what a shame if we leave Ramadan thinking that we could have attained this reward or that reward if we had done this good deed or that good deed. So, why not make a good deeds list. Think about all the ways in which you can make good deeds. I wrote my list and then posted on my local area yahoo group and the home education forum that I run for ideas from others too. And I must say, there were some great ways of getting extra reward! One of my favourites was leaving dates and copies of the Quran in the masjid so that you get the ajr of those who open their fast with your dates and them reading the Quran you left.

6. EID PREP
Eid preparation should really be done now. Not during the last 10 nights. So, I have already decided who will wear what (thats 5 people to think about in my family – yup including the husband lol!) I’ll be discussing how we will spend Eid and where the Eid salah will be prayed with my husband. Don’t know about you but Eid morning is a nightmare in my household and it shouldn’t be. Also, Eid gifts have been bought in advance. That way I can really try and concentrate on the last 10 nights which are equal to a 1000 months.

7. RAMADAN CLEAN
Every year, I do my ‘spring clean’ before Ramadan. This involves taking one room at home every day and completely cleaning it out, throwing things away, giving things away. Alhamdulillah, I have already done the living room and bathroom. My room is down for today. I can’t tell you how it feels starting Ramadan with a house that has been decluttered and cleaned.

These have been some of my ideas. I would love to hear your own inshaAllah so that I can try and make my Ramadan a special one this year. Do share your own prep with me.

May Allah grant us all a life changing Ramadan this year. Ameen!

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Salam all.

Today is 24th Shaban. The moon is at 26% of full - Waning Crescent moon.

Get ready for Ramadan!!

Praying Sisterly Love Group discussion Group hug & Empa
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 634
Comments : Where is Allah? Who was Muhammed? What is your book?

Back to top Go down

Post by return2islam on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:27 pm

Mashallah MMF your super organised! lol

You have given me some more ideas on how to get organised.

Inshallah I hope you benefit greatly from Ramadan and may Allah bless you and your family with the good in this life and the next. Ameen.

Please remember me in your duas as well.

Inshallah I will go with my hubby to live in his home country (Algeria) at some stage in the distant future. I've been there a few times so I have some idea of what to expect but its not the same as living there. Altho I have said to my hubby I think I'll be OK so long as I have a proper loo and air conditioning in the summer . I dont know if my family will be too keen on me living there. Inshallah when we have kids I would prefer to raise them in Algeria rather than the UK because the culture will influence them better there.
return2islam

Back to top Go down

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:02 am

Wa aleikum as-salaam return2islam,

I know what you mean about how important is it to have 'a proper loo and air conditioning'! Two necessities for me too! LOL

It's true that the hardest part about living here is being so far from my own family. I wish I could visit them more often and I wish that more of them could come out to visit me here, too. All I can do is try to keep up family relations through phone calls, letters, and communication through the internet. I take them lots of gifts when I go visit them, and we make up for a lot of things by simply having a good time together when we can spend time together in person.

No one else in my family is Muslim. They didn't understand why I became Muslim or why I wanted to live overseas. I think only time has shown them how good these decisions were for me. They see that Islam has made me a better person, as well as a better daughter, sister and mother. They see that our family has benefitted from living in Oman. They see that our children are happier and more respectful than their cousins who were raised with a much more secular outlook on life. They also know that we are well-loved by our extended family and friends here in Oman. (Some of them saw this when they came out to visit us and they were amazed at how caring and connected the people here are.)

In the end, you have to do what is right for yourself, for your Islam, for your husband and children. Your parents and family may not understand it at first, but insha' Allah, I hope that they will see that you grow and become a better person because of it.

By the way, I am a bit organised. I have to be otherwise I don't get anything done. I am not 'super organized', but I am trying to get there to get more done because there are so many wonderful things I would like to do! I appreciate your letting us know about the website with the tips for planning for Ramadan.

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:14 am

Salam slsters

The moon is currently at 13% of full. Waning Crescent moon. Date is 26 Shaban

C
Clare
Admin
Admin

=>

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Asalam alaikom sisters

Can some of the more experienced sisters give us "A day in the life of a revert to Islam during Ramadan" so we get an idea of what people do with regards to ibadah please?

Clare
Clare
Admin
Admin

=>

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:57 pm

Salam Ladies,
Alhumdulilah it looks like everyone is busy thinking about Ramadan.

Inshallah this site should give a few ideas about things to do for Ramadan:

http://ramadandinners.blogspot.com/

As for Ramadan from a converts prospective, my husband always says that he didn't get invited round much to peoples house during ramadan, but then again he stayed at another friends house for the whole of ramadan so it is all an issue of when!

Inshallah the new converts will not be forgotten this ramadan.

love
Snow

Snow

Back to top Go down

Post by islamic on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:31 pm

salam lovely conversations!! inshallah hubby and i will move to Saudi in the next year!! don't want to live here any more feel oppressed living here. so excited to think i could live in an Arab country. inshallah will live in hubby's country but not now want to work for few years then go to his country inshallah. my daughter understands everything. if she see women without scarf she calls them bold lol shes so funny. but i don't want her to have to grow up like that. even now in her playschool (its mixed) she tells me the boys private parts shes only 3years old. i don't want her to no things like that. also sooooooooo excited about Ramadan so happy to fast i get giddy thinking about it!! lol will make meals as i go along nothing really prepared just fafel mix!! Alhamduallah

islamic

Female Posts : 48
Job/hobbies : being with my kids
Hajj : love to have a good laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Asalam alaikom sisters

Well I have been following the advice we got here. I have mapped out in my diary the first week. What time I will do my exercise. What time I will take my medication. What times I will pray. What I want to do for Sadaqa. What time I will sleep. I still haven't figured out what time I will read Qur'an and Seerah but I'm not finished the plan yet.

I think last year was the first year I was looking forward to Ramadan. This year I am really looking forward to it. Insha Allah with all the help here, a bit of thought and a bit of planning I will get much more out of this Ramadan even if I have to break the fast due to illness - there is still all the other things in the plan that I can do insha Allah.

Once again Jezach Allah Khair to everyone for their contributions. Now please don't forget to make du'a for all the Sisters-4-Sisters in Ramadan. (I'm just going now to add that to my du'a list so I won't forget.)

Love
Clare
Clare
Admin
Admin

=>

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:51 pm

P.S

I think I will try not to watch TV this Ramadan, even though they make some great shows for Ramadan. I also intend only to listen to Newstalk radio only when I'm doing something else.

How are all YOUR plans going?
Clare
Admin
Admin

=>

Back to top Go down

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:05 am

As-salaamu aleikum Dear Sisters,

It's getting to that time again where we're starting to think about the upcoming Ramadan! What follows is the first bit of advice I've gotten about getting ready for this coming Ramadan, and I totally agree with it. In the past years, I've been getting Eid outfits ready for all in my family (we are 8 ) before Ramadan starts, so that's one less thing I have to think about during Ramadan.

From Productive Muslim:

Do your Eid shopping NOW!

Assalamu’alaikum,

Can you believe it, we’re already six weeks away from Ramadan?!

Do
you know what’s the best thing you can do now?! (Ladies, you’ll love
this).. the best thing you can do now is..SHOPPING! Yup, that’s it.. I
said it, SHOPPING! Shop for Eid
now! Instead of panicking on the last 10 days of Ramadan, whatever
shopping you have to do for you and your family, get it out of the way
now instead of shopping doing Ramadan and missing out on your Ibadat!

Now,
don’t crazy shopping… shop for what you need, not forgetting the poor
and needy amongst your family and neighbors, even buy Eid presents from
now..

oh and below’s my address in case you want to send me a gift or two…:P Kidding!

See you next week!

Sincerely,
Abu Productive

P.S: Missed our "Have a GUILT FREE Ramadan" Report? Here's the link again: bit.ly Ramadan-Report

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dj_hyper1985 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:09 am

lovely post. thanks for sharing.
dj_hyper1985

Back to top Go down

Post by return2islam on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:53 am

Subhanallah! I cant believe how quickly Ramadan has come round again. I've missed the atmosphere of iftar and taraweeh prayers. Theres nothing quiet like Ramadan nights!
return2islam

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 pm

29th Rajab

Only one month left until Ramadan. Where does the time go? Insha Allah we will all benefit from going back over the posts that helped us to make the most out of last year's Ramadan.

Have you started your preparations yet? Have you made up your missed fasts?

Clare

I love you watch your weight Exercise Exercise bubblegum Let\'s dance Dance Praying watch your weight Wink
Clare
Admin
Admin

=>

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 am

asalam alaikom sisters

This thread contains some of the most beneficial things I learned about Islam and making the most of Ramadan. I wish I'd read it 2 weeks ago - I have to make my plan and my lists.

Please keep me in your dua and all the sisters who joined us. May we all have a blessed Ramadan and all our sins forgiven. Don't forget the single and divorced sisters in particular who might be feeling extra low at this time.

Carima

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:44 am

Snow wrote:
As for Ramadan from a converts prospective, my husband always says that he didn't get invited round much to peoples house during ramadan, but then again he stayed at another friends house for the whole of ramadan so it is all an issue of when!

I found that true too. Try to include at least one revert in your meal planning this year.
Carima

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:56 am

muslimah-mom-friend wrote:from: http://ummihomeschoolsme.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/my-ramadan-preparation/

My Ramadan Preparation

With Ramadan less than two weeks away, the last few days I have spent preparing for Ramadan. Not for the kids, but for myself. With anything in life, if you want to succeed at something or set yourself a goal, you really have to be organised and determined to achieve it. Many sisters ask me how I manage everything: home ed, studying for my degree, dawah, running a home. Wallahi, I struggle like anyone else and I am no superwoman (trust me lol!) but I feel what helps me is being organised! All of us have goals in Ramadan but how many of us achieve them. I can tell you that I have had so many Ramadans where I wanted to read this much, memorise this much, do this much and it didn’t happen and why?? Because of poor planning. But the Ramadans where I feel (inshaAllah) were productive were because of the tawfeeq of Allah but also because I planned and organised myself.

So, here are some things that I do to prepare for Ramadan. If you find them useful and beneficial, get some reward and pass on this post. Plus I want the reward too inshaAllah! lol

1. GOALS
What are your goals for Ramadan this year? How much Quran do you want to read? What do you want to memorise? How do you want to change spiritually and physically after Ramadan ends? What life changes do you want to make? I would recommend reading this excellent book on goal setting for Ramadan: www.outstandingramadan.com Make a list of your goals and then refine them with how much of each thing you want to do and how you will achieve your goals.

2. ROUGH OUTLINE OF YOUR DAY
Ramadan as a single woman was easy in that I had all the time in the world to do whatever ibadah I wanted to do. But did I do half of those things! No! Now as a busy mother of 3, I don’t have as much time at all! So for me Ramadan really is about planning when I can do the ibadah that I want to do which has to be planned around my 3 busy young children. So, with your goals already outlined and what you would like to do, and how much of it (always be realistic) make a rough outline of your day. When will you read your Quran? When is the best time to pray? Can you do both taraweeh and qiyam? Or just one? Naturally, things might occur which will throw your outline of your day out of the window but at least have a rough one that you can try and stick to. As mothers, we need to choose times to do ibaadah when our kids are occupied/sleeping. So, you take out a pen and paper and figure out what your days will be like in Ramadan. It is always a shame to think that we have all these goals and then we just let our days waste away.

3. WEEKLY MENU AND SHOPPING LIST
Ramadan is in no way just about food. And in order to have more time for the important things, I have made my weekly menu in advance for the entire month. Alhamdulillah, my husband is quite easy in that he always wants chourba every day for Ramadan with some borek and salad. So, I’ll just make an additional dish for me and kids, and any guests we may have. This year, I made my weekly menu which includes suhr for hubby and me, breakfast for the kids, lunch for the kids and iftar. After I made the menu, I then made my shopping list. Supermarkets tend to be so busy in Ramadan especially the halal meat shops. I don’t want to waste my time thinking about what I want to buy. Also, it is a huge danger going shopping whilst fasting because you fancy EVERYTHING. This way, I know what I need, go put it in my trolley and then OUT again. Previously I have also chopped quantities of veg that I tend to use every day in advance and then stored it away in the freezer. Sorry to repeat myself, but it is all about saving as much time as you can for the important things during this blessed month.

4. DUA LIST
SubhanAllah, I can tell you from my own experience that last year so many of my duas were answered. Alhamdulillah. Allah was truly merciful to me and my family. Had I not made my dua list, I think I would have regretted not using this special month to make dua for this and for that. What do you want in this life and the next? Maybe separate your dua list into some categories: dunya, akhirah, ibadah, the ummah, relationships etc. Go mad with your list. Remember you are going to be making dua to the Al Mujeeb – the One who responds. So, go crazy with your list. Then make dua at times where your duas are most likely to be answered – before breaking the fast, during your salah, Qiyam ul layl, the last 10 nights etc. May Allah answer and grant all of your duas. Please make dua for me too!

5. GOOD DEEDS LIST
Again, what a shame if we leave Ramadan thinking that we could have attained this reward or that reward if we had done this good deed or that good deed. So, why not make a good deeds list. Think about all the ways in which you can make good deeds. I wrote my list and then posted on my local area yahoo group and the home education forum that I run for ideas from others too. And I must say, there were some great ways of getting extra reward! One of my favourites was leaving dates and copies of the Quran in the masjid so that you get the ajr of those who open their fast with your dates and them reading the Quran you left.

6. EID PREP
Eid preparation should really be done now. Not during the last 10 nights. So, I have already decided who will wear what (thats 5 people to think about in my family – yup including the husband lol!) I’ll be discussing how we will spend Eid and where the Eid salah will be prayed with my husband. Don’t know about you but Eid morning is a nightmare in my household and it shouldn’t be. Also, Eid gifts have been bought in advance. That way I can really try and concentrate on the last 10 nights which are equal to a 1000 months.

7. RAMADAN CLEAN
Every year, I do my ‘spring clean’ before Ramadan. This involves taking one room at home every day and completely cleaning it out, throwing things away, giving things away. Alhamdulillah, I have already done the living room and bathroom. My room is down for today. I can’t tell you how it feels starting Ramadan with a house that has been decluttered and cleaned.

These have been some of my ideas. I would love to hear your own inshaAllah so that I can try and make my Ramadan a special one this year. Do share your own prep with me.

May Allah grant us all a life changing Ramadan this year. Ameen!

Bump

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SAMIRA on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Admin wrote:
Snow wrote:

I found that true too. Try to include at least one revert in your meal planning this year.
Carima

This is absolutely true! i always find isolated at ramadan. husband mosslty goes over to friends houses, barely ever invites them over to eat at ours, most of these friends also have wives and children, so i could understand it if it was a male only household, but some are not. And some of these friends, are also relaxed in the sense of not segregating males/females if theres only 2 or 3 couples there. This is mostly more true on the days that i cannot fast. Upsetting and lonely about it at times. but inshallah i'll get over it.
SAMIRA

Female Posts : 82
Job/hobbies : book-keeper/payroll clerk. Love art/photography/crafts
Hajj : not yet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Samira Group hug & Empa

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:20 pm

bump!

MMF posts are invaluable masha Allah and the whole thread is a helpful reminder. I know I learned a lot from this when first posted and insha Allah I'll be using it again this year.

Carima

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 am

BUMP

Asalam alaikom sisters

I'm back again to revisit the wonderful ideas on here. Reading posts from 3 years ago and getting reminded again is great alhamdililah.

I love leaving dates in the masjid every day so that someone will break their fast on food I have supplied.

I am not sure how I am going to plan this year. My life has changed so much. I am re-married with 6 step children and have made Hijrah. This will be my first Ramadan in a muslim country - and my first summer in a hot country - it's far I am from Ireland and the Irish weather to be sure, to be sure! I am not sure how to cope. 

Also while in Ireland I would have prepared for Eid before Ramadan over and spent the end of Ramadan icing lots of cakes for the Eid party. The presents would be sorted. The clothes would be set aside.

Here money is very scarce and alhamdililah we are living hand to mouth so I don't have the money to do my Ramadan & Eid shopping in advance. 

Also by the time 10am comes the heat is making me feel like a spent balloon. I feel like I have no bones - that I'm made of jelly. My SDaughter Emy aged 20 laughs at me - it is NOT hot she says! I put my hand on my head and it comes away soaked in sweat - and she laughs at how red my face is - AND I spend most of my time indoors!!!! They are telling me it will be hotter next month - during Ramadan.

I am looking forward to experiencing and adopting/adapting traditions that will make our family mesh closer and give the kids shared memories of what they used to do in Ramadan in their father's house that they can recall when they are parents/grandparents themselves.

Make dua' for me and my family please
Carima

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Bump

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dj_hyper1985 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:27 am

Assalaam alaikum sisters, Ramadan kareem. May Allah accept all your fasts. In shaa Allah keep me in your duas.
dj_hyper1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top