sisters-4-sisters (Islam in Ireland)
Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections

Illness and making up the fast

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Illness and making up the fast

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 am

I am not able to fast everyday because of my health problems and needing to take my meds but insha Allah I will get as many as I can done and pay the expiation fine.

As-salaamu aliekum Dear Sister Clare,

Since you are able to fast some days but not all days, why not try making up the days you miss later? This might be better for you, as you are not one of the people who has no hope of being able to fast.

Allah, the Exalted, says:

{[Observing fasts] for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, they have (a choice to fast or) to feed a miskeen (poor person) (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast is better for you if you only know.} (Quran 2: 185)

The significance of fasting Ramadan is stressed by the fact that fasting this month is one of the five basic pillars of Islam, and the above verse states that making up the days one misses is superior, if one is able to do it.

Before attempting to pay expiation, why not try to make up the days you are unable to fast? You could always try fasting those days later when the days are shorter and might be easier for you. Or perhaps, just the fact that you are able to space out the fasting days will help you make up days after Ramadan is over, even if the days are still long.

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Female Posts : 229
Job/hobbies : English editing and tutoring, reading, cooking, crafts
Hajj : try to be loving and personable

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top