sisters-4-sisters (Islam in Ireland)
Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections

Fasting the 10th of Muharram (Day of Ashura)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fasting the 10th of Muharram (Day of Ashura)

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:20 am

As-salaamu aleikum Dear Sisters,

Don't forget that tomorrow (Thursday, Dec 16th) is the Day of Ashura and if you're not already fasting today with it, you can still fast tomorrow!

Indeed, fasting on the day of 'Ashura, the 10th of Muharram, is of great merits in Islam. The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said, "For fasting the day of 'Ashura, I hope that Allah will accept it as an expiation for (the sins committed in) the previous year." (Saheeh Muslim)

Is it permissible to fast 'Aashooraa just one day?

It is permissible to fast the day of 'Aashooraa (tenth day of Muharram) just one day, however, it is better to fast the day before it or the day after it (also) and this is the established Sunnah of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) who said: ((If I am (still) here next year, then certainly I shall fast the ninth (day of Muharram, along with the Day of 'Aashooraa itself))), [(reported by) Muslim, Ahmad, Ibn Maajah, Ibn Abee Shaybah, at-Tahaawee, al-Bayhaqee and al-Baghawee]. Ibn 'Abbaass (radhi-yallaahu 'anhumaa) said: ((along with the tenth (day of Muharram))).

And with Allaah lies all the success, and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa

www.fatwa-online.com

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Female Posts : 229
Job/hobbies : English editing and tutoring, reading, cooking, crafts
Hajj : try to be loving and personable

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top