sisters-4-sisters (Islam in Ireland)
Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections

Combining the prayers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Combining the prayers

Post by Clare on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Asalam alaikom sisters

I was just wondering about the TIME for combined prayers. Suppose you are combining (but not shortening) Dhuhr and Asr, and Maghrib and Isha - when do you pray them? Is there a set time - as there are quite long periods in which you can pray the prayers when following the times described in Fiqh us Sunnah instead of following a printed time-table.
Any guidance greatly appreciated Sisterly Love

I love you watch your weight Exercise Exercise bubblegum Let\'s dance Dance Praying watch your weight Wink
Clare
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 625
Comments : CLEANING + TIDYING = HAPPY HUSBAND
=>
HUGS + ATTENTION = HAPPY WIFE
Job/hobbies : Arts and crafts
Hajj : Did it when I was about 5 years muslim. I found the constant moving around form one place to another to be very unsettling. But alhamdililah I got to touch the Qaba. Medina was wonderful. The trips between Safa and Marwa most enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Re: Combining the prayers

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:12 am

Wa aledikum as-salaam

You can combined the prayers at the time of the earlier prayer or at the time of the later prayer. This is based on the following hadiths:

Mu'azh reports that while the Prophet (sallallahu alehi wasallam) was at Tabuk and the sun had passed the meridian, the Prophet (sallallahu alehi wasallam) combined the zuhr and 'asr prayers before he started his journey. If he started his journey before the sun passed its meridian, he would delay the zuhr prayer until the time when he stoppped for the 'asr prayer. He would do likewise for the maghrib prayer. If the sun set before he began his journey, he would combine the maghrib and 'isha prayers [at that time]. If he began a journey before the sun had set, he would then combine them at the time of 'isha. (Narrated by Abu Dawud and at-Tirmizhi, who call it hasan.)

Kuraib reported that Ibn 'Abbas said: "Shall I not inform you of the salah of the Prophet (sallallahu alehi wasallam) during a journey?" We said: "Certainly." He said: "If the sun passed its meridian while he stopped, he would combine the zuhr and 'asr prayers before remounting [i.e., moving on]. If the sun had not passed its meridian while he had stopped [i.e., before breaking camp], he would travel until the time of the 'asr prayer and then he would combine the zuhr and 'asr prayers. If the sun set while he had stopped, he would combine the magrib and 'isha prayers. If that did not occur while he had stopped, he would ride until the 'isha time and then combine them." (Narrated by Ahmad.)

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Female Posts : 229
Job/hobbies : English editing and tutoring, reading, cooking, crafts
Hajj : try to be loving and personable

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Asalam alaikom sisters

Thanks MMF but I already knew this and I don't understand it clearly. Does it have to be at a precise time during the Asr period or at a precise point in the Dhuhr period if you are combining them? i.e. Does it have to be at the beginning of the time for the prayer or can they be done anytime up to the end of the permissible time for the prayers?

If anyone can clarify this I'd appreciate it.

I love you watch your weight Exercise Exercise bubblegum Let\'s dance Dance Praying watch your weight Wink
Clare
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 625
Comments : CLEANING + TIDYING = HAPPY HUSBAND
=>
HUGS + ATTENTION = HAPPY WIFE
Job/hobbies : Arts and crafts
Hajj : Did it when I was about 5 years muslim. I found the constant moving around form one place to another to be very unsettling. But alhamdililah I got to touch the Qaba. Medina was wonderful. The trips between Safa and Marwa most enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by muslimah-mom-friend on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 am

As-salaamu aleikum Dear Clare,

I have 'heard' things about this issue from 'regular' people. I can't provide any proof here specifically regarding combining prayers, but the information seems to make sense based on the proof for regular, non-combined prayers.

What I have heard is that it is preferable to perform a combined prayer at the preferable time for either of the individual prayers. That is, early in the prayer time. For example, I have heard that if you are combining Dhuhr and Asr, it is preferred to pray them either in the early part of Dhuhr time or the early part of Asr time, in other words, the regular time you would pray either one of those on its own.

However, it is acceptable to pray the combined prayer at any time when the Dhuhr or Asr prayer would be acceptable, even if that is at the very end of the prayer time. So let's say you are travelling and you happen to stop at a place where you can make wudhu and pray and it is the end of the Dhuhr time, before the beginning of Asr time. You can fulfil the requirements of prayer by praying then. Still, if you have a choice of when to stop and pray, and you don't always have that choice when you are travelling, it would be better to stop a little later and make the prayer in the earlier part of Asr time.

Again, I can't provide any proof of that. I've never seen that question fully answered here online.

muslimah-mom-friend
Gold Member

Female Posts : 229
Job/hobbies : English editing and tutoring, reading, cooking, crafts
Hajj : try to be loving and personable

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Insha Allah I will put this question to the Sheikh. If I forget please remind me.
Carima

Praying Sisterly Love Group discussion Group hug & Empa
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 634
Comments : Where is Allah? Who was Muhammed? What is your book?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top